You’re interested in adoption, but you’re not sure where to start. In Missouri and Kansas, you have several options for adoption available. The first thing you must decide is the type of adoption you are interested in. Do you want an infant or an older child? Do you want to adopt domestically or internationally? These decisions will determine where you start.

In Missouri, Harris Law Office does not handle adoption proceedings, but rather concentrates on uncontested divorce, modification or paternity matters.

Who may adopt in Kansas

The law in Kansas states that you must be at least 18 years old to be an adoptive parent, and does not have an upper age limit. This may vary depending on the type of adoption you decide to pursue. You must be able to clear a criminal background check, and have the financial means to support a child. If you are married, you and your spouse must both agree with the adoption.

Kansas Infant Adoption

If you are interested in domestic infant adoption, or are a birth parent who would like to make an adoption plan, you can do so through a licensed adoption agency, or through an adoption attorney. Be sure that any attorney that you choose has experience in adoptions in Kansas.

If you are a birth parent who is planning to place your child for adoption, contact an adoption attorney or an adoption agency to make an adoption plan. It is their job to look out for the best interest of you and your child.

If you feel you are unable to care for your child, but are unable to make an adoption plan, Kansas has a Safe Haven law. This law allows to you take your infant (up to 45 days old) to a hospital, fire department or, health department and they will find a safe place for your child.

Kansas International Adoption

If you are interested in international adoption, you must first research and decide which country you want to adopt from. Each country has its own laws and regulations, so finding an adoption agency that knows the laws of that country is crucial to a successful adoption. You may contact the Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services to find adoption agencies in Kansas.

Kansas Older Child or Special Needs Adoption

Older child, or special needs adoption, is available in Colorado. These adoptions are facilitated through Kansas social services. The children available for adoption are currently in foster care. Special needs adoption does not mean that the child has physical or mental disabilities. It could mean that the child is older, from a minority, or part of a sibling group that needs to stay together.

You are required to attend a 30-hour class called Partnering for Safety and Permanency – Model Approach to Partnerships in Parenting (PS-MAPP). The classes are intended to help you identify issues that children in foster care have faced and how to handle these issues.

Kansas Adoption Home Study

No matter what type of adoption you decide to pursue, a home study will be required. A home study is a bit like an investigation. You are required to submit to background checks, fingerprinting, financial means verification, as well as very personal discussions about your marriage or divorce (if applicable), your child hood, family relationships, and parenting styles, along with checking to make sure your home meets size and safety regulations.

Kansas Adoption Registry

Kansas has a very liberal adoption registry policy. It allows for the Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services to contact adopted adults for any reason and adoptive parents of a minor for reasons of health or medical needs. It also allows SRS to contact birth parents at the request of an adopted adult.